Thursday, March 29, 2018

Touched By An Angel

I believe in angels, those seen and unseen.

Tonight I was touched by an angel. I saw her. I was in a grocery store. Eggs in hand, I just entered the checkout line. As I entered the line, I glanced to my right. Someone I thought I recognized was in my line of sight. So I looked harder, squinting. She was walking toward me and then I recognized her. It was a friend Elisa and I have known for a few years. I hadn’t seen her for at least a year. She kept approaching until there was mutual recognition. We said hi and we hugged.

I asked her about her life. What she was doing? How was she doing? There was concern in her eyes for me. Almost a longing to understand. I sensed in her a desire to know that I was okay. I don’t think she asked me how I was doing. But it was there in her eyes. I sensed that she wanted badly to know that I was doing well. At least that’s what I interpreted from her body language. And I wanted to reassure her that despite my trials I was doing well. So I gave her a brief update, hoping that she would see the hope that was in me. I told her I had moved back to the area to be closer to my girls. And that I was doing fine. Because really, I am.

I remember telling her that I have learned two things recently. The first was that life is hard.

The cashier had overheard our exchange and hastily asked what was the second one.

I said that we have a choice how we respond to the hard things.

We then said goodbye and I walked out of the store feeling about ten pounds lighter. I couldn’t recall if she asked how I was doing. But it was in her eyes. And it was in her smile.

She was cheering me on. I could see it through all her body language. Her hope for me was that I was hanging in there, that I was looking up with hope and faith. Her concern and love was genuine. Everything about her showed me that she was cheering me on. I wasn’t even feeling sad or down, really. Not that I was aware, at least. But the love and concern she showed me lifted a burden I didn’t even realize I was carrying. How is it we can be touched so deeply when someone expresses love and concern for us? I don’t know. Maybe love is the universal language of the spirit. Whatever the case may be, tonight I thank God for sending me an angel.

No comments:

Post a Comment