Thursday, February 22, 2018

Has My ADD Been Healed?

Only as I finished writing this is it dawning on me that my ADD has been largely healed--and will remain so upon the condition that I rely on His grace. For,  

"...if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them." 

--ETHER 12:27 

I had a wonderful day at the temple two days ago. Had only planned on being there for a couple hours. After a couple promptings, however, it turned into a full day of worship. While tired from fasting and service, it was a day of peace and my heart overflowed with gratitude. 



I awoke yesterday morning to some loneliness at having no companion with me to share this experience. In my scripture studies I read Matthew 7:7-8 (...ask and it shall be given you). 

I felt prompted to ask about my prospects for a future companion. 

He replied by telling me that, though less than ideal, I was still married and to not ask more about this topic until I was no longer married. 

What a loving rebuke! Even as I prayed, part of me hoped for this kind of non-answer. There is so much work I have to do on myself right now that I know it would do me no good to speculate on what my future holds. He knows how much I can handle and will not allow me to see too far into the future. 

He knows that I cannot handle too much distraction. 

I cannot believe I have lived all my life being so easily distracted by so many outside pushings and pullings. Many things always tugging me this way and that. If you have ADD and understand the difficulty of sitting still, focusing on one thing at a time, then you get what I'm talking about. What an impossibility!

Only it's not.

Since I've been going through this spiritual rebirth, it is as though blinders have been put outside my eyes. When I walk into my empty house from a long day at work, I no longer see bills, messes to clean up, things that need to be fixed, questions about what to prepare for tomorrow. In short, I no longer feel harangued by a thousand little--and some big--things to take care of. 

I see One Thing. It might be to prepare dinner. Or wash the dishes. Whatever it is, it is always One Thing. When that One Thing is complete, there will be another One Thing. He knows I can handle One Thing at a time. So it's as if He funnels it all into a bottleneck, where I take up that One Thing. Then onto the next.

Each thing on my to-do list is standing in line and must take its turn. They may have entered my life, but they are now required to take a number and wait. The tail is no longer wagging the dog. Mostly. I'm okay with mostly.

It sounds odd as I write this. How can you force your troubles to stand in line and take their turn? I don't know how He does it, but I think of the term quickening. It is a gospel word I do not understand well. I just now searched and found that it means to change a person so that he can be in the presence of God. 

This is not what I mean. I've always thought of the word quickening to mean not one unnecessary thought.



To use an analogy, good writing is considered tight, focused, without any useless or unnecessary words. I love good writing. Who doesn't? 

My thoughts have become like good writing. There are so fewer useless, unnecessary thoughts it amazes me.

As I imagine this, it is so powerful. I know that it does not come from me. It is yet one more gift. I have received so many gifts I am humbled.

And these gifts are so individual, so very practical. They collectively tell me that God knows me and He loves me and wants me to be happy. 

What is He doing in your life right now that shows you He knows you, loves you, and wants you to be happy?

No comments:

Post a Comment